Well, I know the other Codemonks pretty well, as we've been hacking code together since JPL days in 1986. Those were the Reagan years, and I guess we just didn't have to worry about much back then, so we put in a lot of time learning to write good solid code, and look at us now!
What are my most cherished accomplishments? These are some:
- 1981: Received a Presidential Scholar award at the White House in Washington, D.C.
- 1984: Proved that certain cellular automata are equivalent to Turing machines
- 1986: Got hired by Caltech to work at their Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- 1987: Wrote all code to boot an 80286 system into protected mode
- 1988: Hiked 500 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail
- 1989: Finished a trip around the world
- 1992: Rode my motorcycle from L.A. to New Orleans and back
- 1993: Crossed from Vietnam to China by foot
- 1996: Added new functions to the TCL interpreter
- 1997: Wrote the Geoduck resource manager for Watchguard
- 1998: Rode my bicycle from San Francisco to L.A., then to Colorado
1998: Made Python interpreter run on VxWorks
- 2001: Got health messages flowing from OHSU (hospital) to OHD (health department)
- 2002: Hiked across Switzerland
- 2003: Climbed Mt. Shasta in California
- 2004: Wrote an entire Public Health Reporting system in Java for the State of Oregon
- 2005: Climbed Mt. Adams in Washington, then rode a motorcycle 10,000 miles around the USA
My misdeeds will remain classified...